He Had More Than Just A Mom

For 4+ years I have watched as my husband and children are forgotten.

Their lose and pain goes unacknowledged. I have made it part of my mission to use my voice as a Gold Star Mother to make people aware that Fathers and siblings have also lost someone they love very much.

I had to stand and watch as in one moment my son lost not only his brother but his best friend. I had to listen the painful wail of my daughter as she begged me for it to be wrong because she lost her brother and hero. I had to watch my youngest try to understand death and why his best buddy couldn’t take him for icees anymore.

I watch still as my husband tries to come to terms that he lost a son and a part of his legacy.

I lost my baby.. my oldest but so many of us share this pain and for some reason society centers me out and comforts me but forgets my son Micheal had a whole family not just a mom.

My children the last time they were all together.

7 Responses to He Had More Than Just A Mom

1. Cheryl November 27, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

I haven’t forgotten. So Steven and the rest of your family I am so very sorry. I wish I could change it for you all.

2. Heidi November 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

As sad as that is wait until a few years after the war is really over and people totally forget all together…only people that ever really cared were those that served along with my dad and their families…

3. Kellie Allen November 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

You are right. But if he had a wife? Even the mothers are phased out after a time. It is a sad world we live in, Ang….

4. Virginia L. Rice November 27, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

You bring up a valid point. 90% of the time when people think of a fallen warrior they remember the broken heart of the Gold Star Mother but maybe a better term would be a Gold Star Family. Unfortunately the fact is with the loss of a loved family each member of the family has a bit of their heart just ripped to shreds!!

5. Carey Neesley November 28, 2012 at 12:45 am #

Angelia… U r a tower of strength to me. My family, just like yours, is struggling to figure out what our family looks like without Peter. Peter was not only my brother. He was my best friend, born on the same day two years apart. Although he was younger, he made it his job to protect me and care for me and I did the same for him. I know you have seen the pics if us. We even looked like twins. And our bond was that strong. We were by no means perfect and we had our share of disagreements. But at the end of the day…we would have died for each other. When the denial subsided the pleading/bargaining began. Please take me, I will go in his place. He was my best friend, my co parent of my son who he lived as if he were his own. He was my past, present and future. Sibling loss in general is overlooked in grief and bereavement. People always ask how are your parents doing? Never how we are. Siblings are meant to travel through life side by side for their whole lives. We share a childhood no one else can understand but us and a future knowing no matter what happens we will always have each other. It sucks. If ur kids ever want someone to talk to I am always here for u guys!

6. George Sinzer, Host FFNO November 28, 2012 at 2:22 am #

Angelia, as a Soldier I am honored to call you friend not just on facebook but off fb as well. We all pray for the safe return of our heroes, but as we all know their job is a job full of danger, and we Soldier take on the danger knowing it is for America and all her people that we do, in order to protect them from those who would harm them.

Your son is my hero, and all Soldier’s like him, know that this NCO is proud to say thnk you to all my fellows for their tireless service to America.

7. George Sinzer, Host FFNO November 28, 2012 at 2:26 am #

And you are so right I almost forgot to say to the family of this brave soul, thank you most of all for your service, you Honor Michael by standing tall, sharing your strength with us all. I wish there was more I could do or say, just know George Sinzer, SGT, NYG, MP salutes you all and all GS’s and their families everywhere…