Houston Memorial Cemetery~ Its not about YOU!

171471_197435120281986_100000464989311_723510_513719_o

If you have been reading the news you know there has been a bunch of people up in arms over the director of the Houston Memorial cemetery asking that religion not be invoked by volunteers at funeral services. Seems once again our Fallen are being used as political props.. this time by the Christian Right.. they seem to forget their religious rights end at the tip of their nose. I am sick of people taking over and making our fallen their cloak for gaining attention for themselves or their cause! Funerals are not for YOU.. they are for the FAMILY. By showing up and invoking your beliefs and words and taking over you are behaving no better than Westboro Baptist Church!

People seem to think that the director of the Cemetery banned all religious ceremony… that is not true.. he just told the “volunteers” and “groups” they could not show up and take over… the funerals themselves are whatever the families request. these groups however can’t show up and take over and make it about them or what they want!

It seems many people have forgotten that they not only do not own our fallen, the funerals for these men and women are not for them. The funerals are for the families. For these people to feel they can impose or invoke whatever beliefs they have on others during a time of grief is disrespectful. Not every Fallen soldier is Christian and some families do not want to deal with some good doer invoking their beliefs on them.

My son was an atheist.. the military was very careful to follow our wishes and not invoke religion. I would have been PISSED if some “volunteer” changed the funeral we planned for my son.. How dare these people try to take over these finally good byes and make them what THEY WANT and not what the families want!! The fact that they have pushed themselves into a postion that they had to be told to shut up and go away tells me they have NO RESPECT for the families and have repeatedly overstepped their bounds.

Its time for all these “groups” to step back and remember ITS NOT ABOUT THEM! Yes it is a good thing to show your respect and to honor our military but when you USE them to gain something, be it attention or a political point, you are not honoring them.

9 Responses to Houston Memorial Cemetery~ Its not about YOU!

1. Thomas Beach July 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Ma’am,

Being a Christian and being silent is at odds. It is utterly impossible to call oneself a Christian and not be public about it. We are commanded to spread the love of God. To be a Christian, one must announce that He is Lord and Savior. So if I were to call him Lord, I must do what he asks.

I am truly sorry for your loss. But you can go to God with your pain. He understands your pain. His son died too.

2. Knottie July 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

You don’t get to be LOUD at the expense of others. Simple as that..

3. A Soldier's Mother July 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

It is almost impossible to believe that anyone would have the nerve to inflict their beliefs on a family in mourning. Of course the funeral is about your family, your son, your needs. I cannot believe the insensitivity of those who dare to push their needs at such a painful time. I am so sorry for the actions of these people and send my love and hugs to you and your family and the families of all those who have lost their precious sons and daughters.

4. bteacher99 July 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

I am a Christian. I tell other people about Jesus. However, I don’t have to tell other people about Jesus at a funeral where at best I am an invited guest and at worst an observer or assistant. There is a time and a place to speak truth; sometimes we need to LIVE truth, and be compassionately silent.

Mr. Beach’s second paragraph is true. Compassion will help it be heard. Boldness (which can sometimes be rudeness in disguise) might bury the message.

“Love your neighbor as yourself” is important.

5. dreamscapes65 July 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

If you want to HONOR your military children — HONOR them with the United States Flag, for that is the symbol for which they gave their life. I am Catholic, and I would NEVER, EVER think to push off my faith on anyone else — especially at a funeral! Bad Timing, Bad Judgment, BAD TASTE!

To the first person that replied — you need to learn what empathy is — not everyone is Christian, and just because YOU are, doesn’t give you the right or the authority to shove your faith down someone else’s throat…EVER.

6. dreamscapes65 July 12, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

and before anyone jumps down my back — I am a retired United States Navy Sailor — 18 years, and I am the MOTHER of a 5 year long United States Navy Sailor!

7. Fozzy July 12, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

The first poster is the exact reason that the director had to make the rules in the first place. This is what amazes me about these self-proclaimed Christians here in this country and especially in the last couple of decades. Do any of these people actually think that people in this country have never heard of the whole Jesus thing? Really? To go further on what was posted by Knottie, the funerals are where the families get to carry out the last wishes of the fallen. THEY are in charge and they get one chance to do so. There are no other gathering like this in the world.. once they are done, they are done forever.. once these religious goons ruin the gathering.. it is never to be fixed.

8. Eddie Hayes July 15, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

I’ve never been at a funeral where volunteers took over. That would be downright rude. We can Honor the fallen and Respect their families at the same time.

9. Knottie July 15, 2011 at 8:39 pm #

they don’t even realize they are being rude Eddie… it happened at my son’s funeral.. I started to walk to the casket as they loaded into the hearse to be taken to the graveside.. I wanted to touch it, kiss it one last time… and some gentleman grabbed my arm to say something to me… by the time he was done the door on the back of the hearse was closed and I missed that moment. And I can never get it back…. he didn’t mean to impose or be rude. He didn’t mean to steal it from me… but he did.