It Saddens Me Greatly

On Nov.4th 2010 Sgt. Jason James McCluskey gave his life in the line of duty.  He was 26 years old.  On Nov.13th, 2010 his family and friends gathered to say their final farewells to him.   His funeral should have been solemn occasion…It should have been a send off done with honor and dignity.  But Westboro Baptist church showed up to protest and the counter protesters came to “protect” the family.  The tires of Westboro Baptist church’s van were slashed, motorcycles revved to drown out the chants of WBC  and  Sgt McCluskey’s  dignified farewell was turned into a protest war zone. And that saddens me greatly.. for him, for his family and for America.

Over the past few days I have read and heard great glee from people about the counter protest..But when I asked these people what was the soldier’s name they can’t answer… You see Sgt McCluskey was forgotten and lost in it all.  It became a “Look what we did” travesty.

I’ve been the family who had to worry and wonder if the lunatics from Westboro would show up. (And yes they did show up but my town had an ordinance that required a protest permit 14 days in advance and they did not get perform their abuse on my family.  It also lead them to find a State law around all similar local ordinances. )  I now wonder if the counter protesters behavior is any better.  There is a core of people in these groups who understand that this is not a battle or a show it is about allowing the families to grieve in private and with dignity.  But there is now a much larger element whom are just there to react to these lunatics. And in their reaction to Westboro Baptist Church they behave no better.

It’s shameful to have allow this young heroes funeral to become such a circus of bad behavior.   So I am asking those who set out to “protect” the families of our Fallen Heroes in the future.. please ask yourself if you are responding in a dignified and honorable manner or are you just being the same kind of attention whore as Westboro Baptist church?

Jason-McCluskey1

Rest in Peace Jason James McCluskey.. Take luck my Soldier son.. Someone remembers, Someone cares, Someone whispers your name in their prayers

, , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to It Saddens Me Greatly

1. Will S November 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm #

Well said, indeed. May God bless and guide you, your family and those with of courage, wisdom and conviction.

Condolences for your loss.

Semper Fi
    Will S.
    Sgt. – USMC 68-71

2. Kory November 17, 2010 at 4:39 am #

This is true, to a certain extent. Maybe the family the next day heard or read what had happened, but I have it on first account, they were never aware of what was transpiring around them. Too far away, too many “good guys between them. Too much happening. Personally, I was happy to hear of the “reaction” to Westboroghs “action”. Do I condone? No, condemn? No, I can’t do that either. Do I think they ought to be allowed their free speech? Certainly, BUT, a given distance away, way away. 99.9% of the “good guys” are just that, but you will always have those who carry their disdain a bit too far. They can’t be controlled by the”good guys” any more than anybody could control the “bad guys”. What is the answer? Who knows!! The PGR has it right, but sometimes those who show up aren’t led by the PGR. Best wishes to you and Foz always Angelia….Kory

3. Kathy Kentta November 17, 2010 at 6:52 am #

Thank you for the sincere, heartfelt letter you wrote for Sgt Jason McCluskey. I agree that ANY COUNTER PROTESTING is just as bad as what the WBC does. Our members of PROTECTORS OF SOLDIERS AND THEIR FAMILIES are briefed and re-briefed that THAT is not why we are there. We have leaders in all areas and they are to make sure all of our members conduct themselves in a respectful manner and DO NOT ENGAGE THEM IN ANY MANNER. They are simply to hold their flags and show respect and honor to our fallen soldier. My heart goes out to the family, they are in my prayers. Thank you Sgt McCluskey.

4. Knottie November 17, 2010 at 8:48 am #

Not once did I center out any one group.

5. Knottie November 17, 2010 at 8:49 am #

Where did I say PGR? It’s telling how people react though.

6. Momma Mindy November 17, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

What makes me the angriest about these people from Westboro Baptist is that they claim they act in the name and will of the Lord, but they are far from behaving in a way that honors the Lord. I find myself reacting with strong feelings against them and have to keep them in check so I don’t become like them.

As Americans, they probably have the legal right to protest, even if I totally disagree with them. But, to protest and carry on during the greatest tragedy people have to face in life, the funeral of a loved one, is incomprehensible to me. I can’t even call them animals, because animals behave better. They are unfeeling, ungodly and they are wrong.

I take comfort in one thing, the Lord is a great judge, and some day they will stand before the Lord in judgement. They will bow their knees to the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and will be judged greatly for preaching hatred instead of the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am so sorry for your loss.

7. Eddie November 17, 2010 at 6:36 pm #

I agree with your post. You did not mention any groups by name. I am a member of a group (PGR) who strives to be a wall between the family and any protesters. My goal is to honor the warrior. If I ever fail to do that I then become part of the problem.

8. A Soldier's Mother November 26, 2010 at 12:23 am #

I do not, for the life of me, understand what is accomplished by holding a protest at a funeral – and I don’t care what group it is. You are against the US participation in a war…fine. Maybe you understand the politics; maybe you don’t. Maybe you wear green underwear – who cares?

Do the decent thing, if you feel protesting is important – stand in front of your local government offices, in front of an army office, the White House – I don’t care…but at a funeral? What insanity is this? What insensitivity is this? The soldier sacrificed his life for an important cause – you don’t agree with the cause…fine, protest in front of those who sent him there – but his sacrifice is not diminished, his love of country any less. God, what sick people protest at a funeral???

I’m sorry for this soldier’s family. I’m ashamed as a human being. May the memory of Jason James McCluskey be blessed and may his family find comfort and may those absolute idiots never learn the horrible pain his family now suffers and will suffer forever…which is likely a heck of a lot more than they deserve.

And I’m sorry that this makes me so angry. As usual, you wrote this so beautifully when I would have written in anger! Much love,

Paula

9. Craig Rizzo January 27, 2011 at 11:35 am #

I agree with you on what you’re saying. Four years ago our town lost our first (and hopefully only) to Iraq. There were rumors that wbc was going to show up. I went to the funeral (I didn’t stand with the PGR, but instead chose to be down at the grave site). The wbc did not show up. I had a coworker (who is not a Veteran) who stood with the PGR. He said that some of the members were making comments about how they were going to go at the wbc people, they were getting fired up for a fight. But the majority of the members including the leadership reminded them that they were not to say anything to the protestors or do anyhting physical or make any gestures. “Riding With Respect”. However, I disagree with you about your complaint about the members reving their motorcycles. This is their normal practice. The reason they rev their motorcycles is to drown out the shouts and jeers and chants of the wbc members so the mourners do not have to hear them. They are not doing it to be assholes or get back at the wbc. If they don’t rev their engines, the mourners will hear all the vile things the wbc members are spewing forth. I don’t think your complaint about the reveing of motorcycles is really justified. It is a very neccessary part of what the PGR and other organizations do. Remember, many non members stand with the PGR during funerals.