Everything Happens For A Reason

There are things that happen that I know is Micheal just messing with me and then there are things that happen and I know there is a reason. And then sometimes the most unexpected things happen and I have to wonder how much of a hand Micheal has had in these events. And yet I know he did….

At the end of January I saw some post on facebook regarding the death of Devin Rowe. He had been killed in a hunting accident. It seemed cruel to me that he had survived 2 tours in Iraq only to die here doing something I somehow knew he loved.

Devin had served with Micheal in Iraq. He was one of the members of the company I had not met. But I saw the pain my other solider sons had at the news of his death. I reached out to them and we all tried to find a means to contact his family.  I learned from them what an good man Devin was. He was highly regarded and respected.

Today in the mail my father in law received a package and in it was a letter from Devin’s father and a memorial bracelet bearing my son’s name. Devin had worn the bracelet until his discharge from the Army. I understand why he stopped wearing it. At some point these men need to move on and put away the reminders of their lives in war and the sadness some of it holds.  The bracelet now sits on Micheal’s memory table. When I look at it I will not only remember my son but Devin also.

I somehow feel that Micheal put this in my hands for a reason. Not completely sure what it is yet but I know when things like this happen there is a reason. I have something to learn or give.. or both.

Tomorrow I will call Devin’s father. I will offer comfort and friendship   If I said I wasn’t scared I would be lying.  But somehow I know I have to do this.

I can almost picture Micheal and Devin sitting in heaven sitting at a camp fire plotting…

, , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Everything Happens For A Reason

1. Greta March 10, 2010 at 10:46 pm #

You are wonderful for making that call. Love you!

2. Julie Weathers March 10, 2010 at 10:48 pm #

I do think things happen for a reason. It really is sad to go through two tours and then come home and die, but I have stopped wondering at miracles and mysteries. You are often in my thoughts.

3. Justin Lawson March 11, 2010 at 12:38 am #

We love you for what you do Momma Ang. You were hit in the gut so hard, a devastating blow yet you came back from it; if not for yourself, you did it for Mikey and for all of us. You are the epitome of never ending strength, you are the best example of MOM. Even after Mike left us, you stood by us and still do to this very day. I know I speak for everyone when I say thank-you and we love you.

4. Justin Lawson March 11, 2010 at 12:55 am #

The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us — that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion — that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.–Excerpt from The Gettysburg Address, President Abraham Lincoln.

5. Dyanna McElwee Vanatta March 11, 2010 at 5:16 am #

Wow! I’m sure things happen for a reason, sometimes we aren’t sure what that reason is and sometimes we never find out. Allen wears his memorial bracelet for Michael still to this day, it’s become such a part of him.

6. USMCWIFE8999 March 11, 2010 at 9:15 am #

You maybe one of the few people on the face of the planet that knows what he is going through, this exclusive club that no one wants to be a part of. What an awesome intervention by Micheal.

7. Fozzy March 11, 2010 at 11:59 am #

That works both ways Justin, We are honored to have you guys in our lives. We have worried over you guys as if you are our own since Micheal went to the unit, grew as a soldier and deployed with all of you. We have lost some of the people who we thought were closest to us in life and a very few people in this world have stuck by us. Most of them wear or have worn the uniform in this and even other countries. If any of you guys need anything, I hope you all know that we will do whatever we can for you guys.