10 Knocks

This morning 10 families received knocks on their doors and two men in Class A uniforms faced them. The phrase every military family dreads was spoken ” We regret to inform you…” 10 hearts have stopped beating, 10 lives have ended far too soon. 10 families worlds have come to a halt, their hearts have shattered and the path to the “new normal” has begun.

I want to scream at the President that his lack of action and rules of engagement are killing our men. I want to shake the politician’s who seem to think this is some kind of game and our military are the pawns. I want to shout “THESE ARE PEOPLE YOU ARE GETTING KILLED SO YOU CAN GET BETTER POLL NUMBERS”

The United States Military is the best there is.. they always get the job done if they are allowed to do the job. They do their job with honor also. They don’t need senseless rules of engagement to hamper their efforts. They know right from wrong. The recent ROE were set to make the US more popular in world opinion… well they just make us look weak and they are getting our men killed!

This is war.. not politics! We need to listen to our generals on the ground not some bean counter who never had the balls to walk into a recruiting office let alone serve this country in uniform.

Mr. President.. you have blood on your hands.. the blood of 10 men today because you refuse to take the action necessary. Stop the dog and pony shows and start doing your job sir!

Ten American troops were killed at the weekend in two surprise attacks that caused alarm in Nato’s US-led coalition.

In one, hundreds of insurgents attacked a pair of isolated outposts in eastern Afghanistan, killing eight US soldiers and several Afghan policemen in the deadliest battle in 15 months. Scores more Afghan policemen were reportedly captured by the Taleban.

In the other an Afghan policeman opened fire on the American soldiers with whom he was working in central Wardak province, killing two and injuring three.

10 Responses to 10 Knocks

1. alexa October 4, 2009 at 2:21 pm #

It always dampens my mood when I hear that one of Our Troops has fallen. I become quieter.

I suffer nothing like the families and loved ones of Our Fallen Heroes. I can only grieve from a distance and try to see all the great beauty around me that still stands and shines because of their service and ultimate sacrifice.

And be so very grateful that America makes such men as they. Thank my good fortune that they come from such women as you.

2. Anonymous October 4, 2009 at 4:39 pm #

As you know, I am extremely disappointed with the non-action of our leaders. As a Viet Nam veteran I have learned that they are expected to let the enemy have it's way no matter how many of us are lost. Donk

3. joyce October 4, 2009 at 7:26 pm #

I thought of that this morning. Ten moms. Ten dads.

4. Faulkner's Shack October 5, 2009 at 5:45 am #

We have not won a war or confict since politicians started playing generals.

All the technology in the world will not win anything IF the politicians try to be generals.

'Gung Ho', lets go to war they cry as long as they don't have to carry the weapons nor squeeze the trigger.

The blood staining the sands is not their blood but the blood of true Americans.

If the want to start these wars and conflicts then they need to put their boots on and get out in front and lead us.

I'm afraid they won't be found in front leading the charge but back in the rear with the rest of the gear claiming to do their part.

5. David M October 5, 2009 at 10:57 am #

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 10/05/2009 News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

6. Sgt Patrick McNally, U.S.Army,Retired October 5, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

Great post, it makes me mad, knowing that this bozo has made to ROE even more against our troops, they can't call for fire, & they do not have the air support they need. Obama is too busy touring around the world on the taxpayers dime, acting like we have a surplus instead of a deficit! How many more soldiers & marines must die due to his incompetence! I feel for the families of the lost. Keep up the great writing…Pat

7. alexa October 11, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

Hey, nice place you got here! I guess I’ll have to be nice to you and Greta. 😉

8. diana christensen September 30, 2010 at 2:56 am #

my 6 yr old grandson went to grief camp,acts out at school…..his dad was justin t gallegos kia oct 3,2009 cop keating,silver star etc.the honor is important but the continued support for other peoples kids is more!long haul for this little boy that i love!

9. James September 30, 2010 at 10:05 am #

I was one of the family members who recieved a knock on the door, i was with my mother at the time the told us of our brother, SGT Michael Scusa. Dont forget that this president didnt put our troops in Afghanistan, and its the commanders on the ground that put a COP in a damn valley where they were easily ambushed. So YOU need to stop making this seem as if its the presidents fault. Your making this political just as much as anyone is……. God blesd all the troops and thier families…. Miss you brother…..

10. Knottie September 30, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

James.. I know your Mom. She is an Amazing lady. But you have to understand the President is the Commander and Chief and his lack of giving the troops the support they needed is part of the problem. As were the ROEs he imposed on our troops. And like it or not.. as long as the President is Commander and Chief of the Military there will be some politics involved.